Thursday, January 20, 2011

Classes Have Begun


Writing has not happened much this week so far. I have been so busy with my own schooling and helping my friend get situated in his classes (and finish sorting out the glitches in his financial aid) that I have only written for about 10 minutes each day.

But I can't regret the lack of writing. At this point in my life, as important as writing is to me, my schooling is more so. I want to get my degree more than anything else. In fact one could almost say I am compulsive about my schoolwork. Yesterday was the first official day of classes, and I don't have class again until Monday, but I had to get all my homework done as soon as I got home. Mainly, because I know myself. If I don't do it immediately, I won't do it until the last moment - if at all. And I not only want to do it, but do it well.

On the plus side, all of my classes seem very interesting. Not just from class today, but from the books (yes, I read all my text books and took notes from the readings before classes ever started). I am taking and anatomy and physiology class which I think is going to be the hardest one. I have one other biology class called Biology in the 21st Century, Cultural Geography and History of the LGBT Community. I also got a very pleasant surprise yesterday when I ran into some friends on campus and was able to arrange a carpool with them so I don't have to worry about the new bus schedule or bus money (which I don't have).

The other great thing is that most of my classmates in my A&P class are older women (35 and up). Classes are so much better when the students are older. More actual learning goes on and a lot less goofing off. People are more willing to form study groups rather than social groups. I think it's for a combination of reasons. 1) Because the older student is more likely to be spending their own hard earned money to pay for the classes and they don't want to waste it. 2) They are usually in school for a specific reason and actually want to be there. It makes a difference to the whole learning atmosphere to have a class of older people. One of my previous professors put it this way, "I'd rather have a class of 5 middle aged women to teach than 100 kids because with the older women, I know they'll actually remember most of what I teach them."

Once I get more settled into my classes and into a routine there, I'm going to work hard on getting my writing time back up to par.

1 comment: