Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Greetings and Salutations!

Blogging is obviously (as everyone connected to the writing industry repeatedly tells us) a necessity for an up and coming author - as a networking tool if nothing else. I disagree. For me blogging is not about trying to share my writing wisdom with other struggling writers (who says I have any anyways?) or lists of do's and don't's that we hear everywhere in the writing community. Fact is everyone rehashing the same old crap. And if you didn't learn it the first 5 million times you read it, give up.

Yes, I am aware that I sound a bit bitter. But honestly, what are people doing? And why do so fricking many insist on doing the same exact thing?

This blog will have none of that. No little "lessons." No guidelines to follow. No supposed expertize flowing from my fingers onto the screen. 'Cause I refuse to do things I despise and I despise most writing blogs. After following over 200 of them for close to 2 years under a different screen name, I have vowed never to have a blog like that.

Mainly I want this space to vent when my stupid characters get it into their heads that they are writing the story. To cry when I receive the expected rejections. To scream and shout for joy on that distant day when I finally receive an acceptance. To bang my head against a virtual wall when the words just won't come. To give myself something to write on those days I just want to toss all my work into the nearest toilet (and yes, by that I mean the laptop since I do not write longhand).

Ideally I will be posting every Tuesday, but as I am trying to get this up and running, it may take me a bit to really stick to a schedule and find a day that regularly works well.

A Little Bit About Me

Writing has been my passion for as long as I can remember. If I didn't like what was happening in the book I was reading, I would just rewrite the book. Sometimes even on the pages of the book - much to the horror of my parents (both bibliophiles like myself). As I grew older, I graduated to rewriting the scripts of movies I saw to either make the movie better (at least in the eyes of my friends and myself) or to write in my friends and me as the romantic interests of our favorite actors. At the time I didn't realize that what I was doing actually had a name - fan fiction. I just knew that I wanted life and all things in it to fit what went on in my imagination.

From there I graduated to sappy, teenage, romantic and/or depressing poetry. Thank God that phase didn't last too long. Not only did my poetry suck big time, but writing it just made me more depressed than I already was as a teen.

Nowadays I stick with Young Adult novels, usually with some paranormal aspect. And let me tell you, I enjoy it so much more.

My writing goal for 2011 is to have one of my novels ready for submission to an agent and/or publisher. Most likely it will be one of the two novels that I am working on revising right now. But who knows? I just started rough draft for a new novel on New Year's. If this one flows smoothly and quickly, it could be my first submission. Although I'd rather it not be. This new one is part of a 9 book series and I don't want my first submission to be a series that I might get stuck with long after it should be done.

But that's a worry for another day.

No comments: