Thursday, October 18, 2012

New Beginnings?

Yes, there is a question mark there in the title. You see, I've had so many new beginnings in my life that I'm actually getting kind of sick of them. Though for the most part this one has been better than many of the others.

First of all I found a city that I love. I felt at home in New Orleans from the first moment. A far cry from Annapolis which I hated as soon as I set eyes on it. Most people who know me are stunned by the fact that I survived my first summer here. (I am known for loving the cold and snow.) I can't say that I loved the heat, but I got used to it. And of course it was a fairly mild summer, or so I'm told. I am looking forward to their version of winter though :)

One of the best things about New Orleans to me is that it is a city of contradictions. The old and the new (and don't forget the new that has to look old), different architectural styles right next door to each other (not separated by neighborhoods), there's city and country, educated and uneducated, rich and poor, beautiful and ugly, clean and dirty. The list could go on forever, but I think you get the gist of it. I'm sure a lot of people in other cities would say the same thing about those others cities. They might be right, but I've never seen, never felt it in any other city I've been to. New Orleans truly has something for everyone if they take the time to look past the tourist traps in the Quarter (and totally skip Bourbon Street).

So New Orleans is now home, and I have a feeling that even if I leave some day, I'll be back.

Second, I opened one of my documents today for the first time in ages. Almost a year really. Things were so hectic from last spring until now - plus my laptop was stolen with all the newer versions of the writings I had been working on (yes, I know - very bad to not save in many different places - lesson learned). So writing has been nonexistent for over a year.

But today I did it. And honestly I'm kind of sorry I did. Pretty much everything I've ever written I looked at today and thought,"Really?? You considered this worth your time?" I'm not saying it's all crap, but even with extensive work, I doubt even 10% of it will ever be worthy of querying.

Even though I sound annoyed by it, it been very beneficial reading over everything. For starters, it's really helped me realize where I want to focus my writing. I used to be all over the map YA (sci fi, fantasy, romance, paranormal, contemporary), chick lit, romance, mystery, erotica. You name a genre and I guarantee you I had at least one project if not more going in it. But one thing rereading everything did was it showed me what I really want to write - edgy YA for those teens who are truly on the brink of adulthood but are not quite ready to move on to books where the MC is 10 to 15 or more years older than them. I want my readers old enough that I don't have to censor myself so much in my writing (I have young teen kids. I know there's stuff I don't want them reading so why would I put it in my books?).

The other great thing about this whole new beginning was meeting my current roommate, whom I will call Bald &Sexy (or BS for short). Not completely bald, but it works as a pseudonym. I met him my second day in New Orleans. He also was staying and working at St. Vincent's Guesthouse (and that whole saga is a post of its own). He was one of those people I just clicked with. And when the owner of the Guesthouse fired him because he demanded the money he was owed for his work, I was devastated. Thanks to one of the guests in town for Jazz Fest with her husband, I made a choice that changed my time here in New Orleans a great deal.

See, one thing all the people living and working at St. Vincent's had in common is that we were all broke and had nowhere else to go. We worked as hotel employees in exchange for our room. So when BS was fired, he lost his home with it. Irene (the guest I mentioned) convinced me to go after him and not leave him alone. I followed her advice that afternoon, and we spent the rest of the day and a good portion of the evening in the Quarter. BS has lived here on and off for the past 15 or so years and showed me the city as only a local could (notice I say local and not native - big difference). At about 1:00 a.m. I knew I had to get back and go to sleep, but I was terrified for him. He had nowhere to sleep and no money. Having spent my share of time homeless, I didn't want that for him. Already he was one of my best friends and you don't turn your back on friends. So instead of letting him sleep in the park, I snuck him back on hotel property and into my room. That was on April 7th this year. We've been roommates ever since.

Hurricane Isaac is how we got found out though. Hotel management found out he was living in my room and I got fired. Believe me when I say it's the best thing that happened to both of us. Now we work, we have a real apartment, and just on Tuesday we got a dog. And I'm back to writing.

So maybe new beginnings aren't as bad as I was beginning to think they were. When I break it all down like that, it seems like this one is actually pretty kick ass :D

4 comments:

David Batista said...

I'm so glad to see you blogging again, JS! (is it okay to use your real name here? I forget)

I would love to visit New Orleans someday. I always wanted to, but now watching Treme on HBO makes want to even more. And now I have your positive accounting of the city as well!

And, yeah, you absolutely have to let me know how winter is down there. From one cold lover to another. :)

Josi Springs said...

I've gotten hooked on Treme as well, David. But one of the coolest things about the show is how many of the places they film at that I have been to! And even better - last week Wendell Pierce (plays Antoine) came into my coffee shop :) Such a thrill to meet him.

David Batista said...

Oh, that's very cool! I like him on the show, as well as when he was on The Wire. Watching Treme is like a guilty pleasure for me. Neither my wife nor my friends will watch it, no matter how many times I beg them to. So it's just me soaking it all in. I have the soundtrack to the first season, which I absolutely love and listen to about once a week.

So, yeah, at some point I'm pretty sure I will visit Nawlins. :) But you're very lucky to be there already!

Josi Springs said...

Look me up when you come down and I'll show you around :)